Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Giant Beetle


 At some point I will get around to re-posting the older and dustier parts of my collection. Most of these pictures will be pulled directly from my now defunct CMoN account. It was such a thrill in my younger days! I have definitely moved on; time to move those pieces to my own space.

I completed this mini  in 2011 - this thing was practically ancient then, stamped 1986, but the sculpt is still awesome! In terms of my progression as a painter, this was a seminal piece for a number of reasons: 1) This may be the first piece I did where I painted monster eyes as gems, a method I have continued to develop. 2) My first real experimentation with overlaying layers of colors over sharp highlights to create extreme tonal differences in color palates while preserving the hue. This was a speed-paint at the time, and it is a technique I still use to paint things quickly (I used it today, actually). 3) Extensive use of bases I sculpted out of green stuff - I use GS and clay for most of my base-work these days (and a healthy amount of wood filler).

 

Still love this old mini, and it still sees play! Definitely one of my earlier pieces that has stood the test of time, and shaped what was to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment