Sunday, March 31, 2024

Gelatinous Cube


 Wellllllll, some posts just don't seem that impressive. looking at you semi-transparent ooze cube! Given that, I really thought making one was going to be easy - HA! how wrong I was.

 This model is from epic miniatures, printed in clear resin. The model is hollow, presumably so it can sit over another model and engulf it. I'm not a huge fan of that type of gimmick, so I elected to fill the cavity with clear epoxy resin. I made some mistakes here - I was in a rush and I didn't do the optional steps to remove bubbles. As a consequence, the cube has loads of tiny bubbles that give it a foggy look. I ultimately hope to make some cubes with items floating in them, so Ill need to work on getting my resin clear moving forward.

 The second pitfall was the frosty nature of the layers of the print. I initially tried using a gloss coat, and it sorta' worked to clear it up but resulted in some paint checking around "drip" features that needed to be carved or sanded away. the layer was a bit on the thin side to prevent checking, which allowed the print layers to remain more visible. So, I ended up painting on print resin as a coating, then coating that with a thin layer of gloss.

The final obstacle was how to attach the cube to the base I had sculpted and painted (a 60mm base, which broke in half at one point - this project did not go smoothly). I settled on welding it to the base with more clear UV resin, but I left a few bubbles in places, and while it worked out it was far from easy, and definitely messy. still, not a bad strategy (especially since the other option was epoxy resin with very long cure times), but an error would've been costly.

The next one will be better! I plan on two more at some point with different details and "floaters." 

I cant promise better photos, though, they are just clear goo, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment