Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Adult White Dragon

 


My most recent miniature! She is close to the largest piece I have painted, and easily the largest miniature I have 3d printed. In order to fit this beast onto my small resin printer I had to chop it into a number of pieces, and get creative with the reconstruction. I was good experience keying parts, and while it gave me some issues, I'm sure my next large prints will be better for it.

 This piece is an updated dragon from MZ4250s collection of free STLs, and was painted for the monthly competition. She took many sessions to print and a long time to assemble, so it really cut into my painting time. Fortunately, the chromatic dragons are relatively.... monochromatic. Unfortunately, I have a really hard time with white / off white color palates. I decided to go with a multi-tonal gray. She is still obviously a white dragon, and the light grays would blend with the skies of her gloomy homeland. It was an interesting painting experience, trying to lean so much on such a big piece so quickly, but ultimately it feels very rewarding to have a huge dragon completed.

These updated dragons from MZ are really nice; true to the source material. Seeing one completed inspires me to make the entire set of dragons from his line. A massive undertaking, but a worthy goal.

Finally, a shout out to my son. Those of you who are familiar with this miniature might notice that the stance is very different from the defaults. My son spent some time in Blender with the rigged file to cook up this very dynamic pose. I think it reflects the aggressive behavior of these beastly dragons perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment