Sunday, January 14, 2024

Living Icicle / Iceheart Lamproid (5)

BRRRRRRRR!

with the cold snap I decided to shake off my painting slump of the new year with a speed-paint. not one, but five models in a single evening session! these little fellows (from PrintYourMonsters) are definitely fitting for the deep chill outside. they are notable for a few reasons, not least of which is that they are possibly the fastest time-per-model I have achieved, ever.

 This is the first time I have worked with transparent models. while I typically use clear resin, I have never once tried the painting techniques for clear pieces that have become popular these days. The method is very fast, relying on clear inks and, in this case, a light drybrush. I have some alcohol based inks I received as a gift awhile back, and have never touched them until now. Now, I'm glad I have 'em because it was fun to try new techniques and materials. A word of caution, though: transparent models and paints are unforgiving! I think I went a little too blue here, but there is no way back once that pigment is down. I think it still works, though - I have seen some pretty blue icefalls, and maybe the magic that makes them tints their color. While it isn't super realistic, it is definitely visually striking. Definitely a technique I'll try again.

Also worth mentioning is that these are an example of prints I have been making lately where I print the model already attached to the base. The supports are a little more tricky, but darned if it isn't fast, and it seamlessly integrates the model with the setting. Well worth the upfront effort, so it is something I plan on doing quite a lot moving forward. These were slightly reduced in size (80%), so the bases here are 20mm.

Finally, I should mention my true motivation with these models: they are for an adventure! An aspect of my gaming hobby I don't often discuss is that I enjoy collecting adventure modules (the old school ones, mostly), and I enjoy tying in my painting efforts to them. In this case, they aren't for an old school module, but the new free "Peril in Pinebrook" introductory adventure, which I thought was cute (& perfect for my kiddos). These Living Icicles are one of three or so encounters I want to prepare for that mini-adventure over the next few weeks. 

Stay toasty!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment