Thursday, November 23, 2023

Kumo Nest (2 kumo)


 I adore the L5R setting, and I have an extensive collection of the Clan War line. At this point I would consider these fellows a rather rare find. They are part of the Shadowlands army for that old game, which I always thought was odd. While they are definitely predators, they are more like spirit-animal-people rather than forces of evil. Some are definitely evil, though, and these sculpts are definitely on the creepy side with humanoid faces in their abdomens. The sculptor did a good job - I'll have to look 'em up and credit the work here.

These paint-jobs are on the older side now, but I think the effect really works. I wanted to emphasize their unnatural / spirit nature with the bright green (which I tend to use to convey "soul energy" in my paintings) and very sharply highlighted blue-black carapace. While the paint is old, the base is much younger; they have been re-based. Re-basing miniatures is a hassle, but I felt like the original base was way off theme. A few years back I ended up completely reworking the base and I am now pretty happy with how it turned out. I even like the little toppled shrine I sculpted to tie it in with my other L5R minis. So, while I have shared these elsewhere, they have never been photographed in their current form. 

From a presentation perspective spider shaped critters can be tough, so I went with multiple angles. It is a little busy, but provides a better sense of the actual miniatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment